So, I can’t sleep. I can no longer blame the loud clock someone gave us for a wedding gift as I finally succumbed and put it in the garage to give to charity. It’s just too loud. Anyway, I give up and get up, quietly so as not to wake the sleeping man and dog. I get out the door and downstairs without kicking the door jam or any other clumsy thing you might expect to hear next. I Tiptoe to the coffee maker and I have to grind the coffee, dangit it’s noisy, still, not a creature stirs. I go to turn on the t.v. and nothing. The remote has died overnight. I look but am out of AA batteries. I power up with a sip of coffee and start searching. Nothing in the kitchen has an AA battery. Quietly I look, nada. I head out to my husband’s tool bench to start searching the man toys. It all looks frightening and am pretty sure something will drop and wake the boys upstairs. I’m about to give up when I hear the damn clock in the box waiting for Amvets.
TICK.TOCK.TICK.TOCK.TICK.TOCK. Please let it be an AA battery. IT IS! I have to pry the battery out but I do, hurry in, put it in the ailing remote and pray it’s enough juice to give me the morning headlines. Apparently, in my earlier stupor I had been hitting the up volume on the actual T.V. set (who knew)? and the T.V . comes on LOUDLY. I drop the remote, it hits the coffee table and goes flying. I curse. I am chasing things down and the TV is blasting some infomercial from whatever channel was on last night. I finally get it all fixed and I hear scratching from above. It’s either the dog scratching at the door or, not sure. I stand perfectly still until it stops. Anyway, that’s my day thus far. Oh, the moral of the story? Take the batteries out of the loud clock that’s been torturing you for years before you give it to charity and let them scratch for a while. Eventually they might fall back asleep. Good morning everyone!